When I decided to write about being an instant step-mom, my first concern was my internet history as it related to my Twitter account. I’ve been on Twitter for eight years and have tweeted my fair share of unpleasantness. The most heated discussions bring out some my worst character traits- specifically my ability to spit verbal poison at those who I feel have disrespected yours truly. Most recently, I offered a troll employment as my family’s au pair to complement their skill in minding our business too heavily. Would I repeat that in person? ABSOLUTELY. However, I have kids looking up to me now and they don’t need any more women in their lives setting bad examples. Hell.
SO. What do you do when you need a fresh start? You delete everything and act like it never happened (and pray to King Jesus that the screenshots are few and far between). Here’s how:
- Go to your account settings and download your Twitter archive. (Depending on your tweet count, this can take a few hours to a day)
- Download your Twitter archive. It will be a .zip file, but you won’t need to unzip it.
- Visit Twitter Archive Eraser and download the stand alone version. (Or whichever version works best for you on Mac or PC).
- Give the site permission to access your account, so that you can enter in the verification code allowing the site access to your archive.
- Upload your Twitter archive and grab a snack.
- Praise Sweet Baby Jesus that you haven’t tweeted your ass out of a job. (yet)
That’s It! As someone who is on her 4th Twitter account, this would have saved me a lot of time from starting over. Save yourself the time and follow these steps to clean your act up!
Until next time…..